(05-Year Degree Program)
Physiotherapy is a modern health care profession that provides promotive, preventive, curative, rehabilitative, and palliative care services to assist people in restoring, maintaining, and maximizing physical function and overall well-being. Physiotherapists are human movement system experts who work as a part of a multidisciplinary team or autonomous practitioners who can assess, evaluate, diagnose, treat and re-evaluate signs and symptoms of Patients/Clients with movement dysfunction, illness, injury, or disability. Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) is a five-year degree program based on an annual examination system under the umbrella of UHS.
Aims and Objectives of the Course
- To prepare reflective practitioners who use examination, evaluation, diagnosis, prognosis, and intervention to enhance health care facility to patient/client.
- To enhance students’ professional, social and clinical decision-making skills to provide quality practice.
- To develop the research culture among the students to innovate and modify the treatment approaches.
- To demonstrate commitment to personal and professional growth with lifelong learning.
Professional Prospects for the Graduates
Graduates become autonomous practitioners, providing top-level care to any patient population in a wide range of settings. Physical therapists have the rewarding opportunity to make a positive difference in the quality of peoples’ lives through their work. One year internship is mandatory after completion of the degree program. The Government of Pakistan offers BS-17 to fresh graduates, which further progresses to higher scales with education and experience. Physical therapists can practice independently as well as in a wide variety of health care settings like:
- Public Sector Hospitals
- Private Hospitals
- Clinical Research
- Rehabilitation Centers
- Outpatient Clinics
- Athletics facilities and sports
- Medical Colleges & Universities
Post Graduate Study
M.Phil. and Ph.D. Studies for DPT Students in different specialties are available across Pakistan and abroad.
Department of Physical Therapy
A fully functional Physiotherapy department is operational in Shalamar Hospital with a high turnover of patients. Both inpatient and outpatient services are offered to patients with musculoskeletal, neuromuscular, cardiopulmonary, integumentary, and vestibular problems at all stages of diseases. Students have complete access to the clinic and get full hands-on training of physical therapy skills from practical interactions with the patients. Additionally, supervised clinical rotations of physical therapy students in medical and surgical wards of the Shalamar Hospital are scheduled. The department comprises a fully functional rehabilitation gymnasium with a multi-functional exercise unit, multi-weight dumbbells, cardiac rehabilitation treadmill, and elliptical cycle.
For exposure to a variety of patients, clinical rotations for students are arranged in Children hospitals (pediatric training).
Medical imaging is the technique and process of creating visual representations of the interior of a body for clinical analysis and medical intervention and visual representation of the function of some organs or tissues.
Medical imaging encompasses different imaging modalities and processes to image the human body for diagnostic and treatment purposes like radiology which uses the imaging technologies of X-ray Radiography, Fluoroscopy, Computed Tomography(CT), Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), Medical Ultrasonography or Ultrasound, Endoscopy and Nuclear Medicine Functional Imaging techniques as Positron Emission Tomography (PET)and Single Photon Emission Computed Tomography (SPECT).
The use of diagnostic imaging services is paramount in confirming, correctly assessing, and documenting courses of many diseases and assessing responses to treatment.
Aims and Objectives of the Course:
- To produce a fully trained imaging technologist who is an essential member of the diagnostic healthcare team.
- Medical imaging technologists are responsible for producing high-quality images from highly advanced technology equipment that assist doctors in accurate diagnosis.
Professional Prospects For the GraduatesOne of the most significant benefits in this profession is the variety and scope for progression in any field like:
- Radiology: X-Ray, Fluoroscopy, Ultrasound, CT, MRI, Mammography.
- Cardiology: Angiography, Echocardiography.
- Nuclear Medicine: Gamma Camera, Radiation Therapy.
- Corporate Applications: To train users in clinical practice.
- One year internship is mandatory after completion of the degree program.
- The Government of Pakistan offers BS-17 to fresh Graduate Imaging Technologists, which further progresses to higher scales with education and experience.
Radiology and Cardiology Department
- Shalamar Hospital has a Radiology and Cardiology department with a high turnover of patients. The radiology department comprises an X-ray machine, fluoroscopy with conventional and specialized contrast studies, five ultrasound machines including color Doppler and TVS, a CT unit of 64 slices, MRI and Mammography.
- Cardiology Department is equipped with Angiography set up; 2 Echocardiography machines, ETT machine, Holter monitor, and routine ECG machine.
- For practical training of students in Nuclear medicine, we have collaborated with INMOL Hospital, Lahore.
Medical Laboratory Technologists earn a bachelor’s degree, do about 75% of all patient care testing in a clinical setting and help doctors diagnose. The technologists provide patient care by performing various laboratory investigations and procedures in clinical chemistry, hematology, microbiology, immunology, immunohematology (blood bank), urine analysis, and body fluids. Tasks can vary depending on the severity of the patient’s condition but typically involve: performing laboratory tests to produce reliable and precise data to support scientific investigations following strict methodologies; preparing specimens and samples; constructing, maintaining, and operating standard laboratory equipment. These technologists are well-versed in using standard and technical equipment, e.g., centrifuges, pipette machines, and other equipment using computers and performing mathematical calculations keeping up to date with technological developments, especially those which can save time improve reliability. They are also involved in carrying out relevant research on identified topics. They follow and ensure strict safety procedures in the laboratories.
Aims and Objectives of the Course:
- The students should apply their knowledge of the fundamental concepts and principles in medical laboratory experiments and then relate them to their clients and patients who require their services.
- To maintain a globally accepted standard of medical laboratory technology by which other health professionals and the public are assured of practical and economical laboratory services.
- To empower graduates of Medical Laboratory Science with skills that will enable them to engage in income-yielding ventures.
Professional Prospects for the GraduatesAfter the completion of the degree, the students of Medical Laboratory Technology (MLT) can work in:
- Clinical Laboratories at Hospitals, Medical Colleges, and Universities
- Reference Laboratories
- Biotechnology Laboratories
- Industry (Food, Vaccine, Pharmaceutical)
- Research Centers
- Forensic Science Labs
- Education Field
One year internship is mandatory after completion of the degree program. The Government of Pakistan offers BS-17 to fresh Graduate Lab Technologists, which further progresses to higher scales with education and experience.
Post Graduate StudyM.Phil. and Ph.D. Studies for Medical laboratory students in different specialties are available across Pakistan and abroad.
Department of PathologyA fully functional Pathology Department is operational in Shalamar Hospital with a high turnover of patients. The Laboratory can handle over 1 million tests and far more patients every year. The Laboratory comprises the following sections:
- Transfusion Medicine
- Chemical Pathology
- Molecular biology
(04-Year Degree Program)
Operation Theatre Technologists provide a high standard of patient care and skilled support alongside doctors and nursing staff in the theatre. OT. Technologists prepare the operation theatre and equipment required to perform surgery. They act and monitor safety, health, environmental, and quality assurance procedures on equipment used in operating theatres and post-operative units. They are supporting Medical Specialists to handle life-support equipment in situations where patients require operative care or postoperative care. They are involved in positioning treatment equipment and adjusting settings and controls according to technical specifications. They are involved in ensuring the safety of the patients, managing staff, purchasing equipment, communicating with other personnel assessing problems, and operating policy of operation theatre.
Aims and Objectives of the Course:
To equip the students with relevant professional knowledge, skills, techniques, and ethical values to enable them to apply their acquired expertise at the level between the doctors and the patient for efficient health service delivery and develop globally accepted operation theatre for the safety of patients.
Professional Prospects for the Graduates
OT. Technologist can work as a:
- Member of the surgical team where they work with Anesthetists, Surgeons, Registered Nurses, and other members delivering patient care before, during, and after surgery.
- Working as an assistant to surgeon and anesthetist
- As a member of the infection control team
The govt. of Pakistan offers BS-17 to the fresh graduates that further progress to the higher scales with Education And Experience.
Operation Theatre Complex
All these following Theatres are fully equipped with the latest equipment, and multiple surgeries are performed daily. The latest surgical techniques related to anesthesia and surgery are used, e.g., Laparoscopy. The following theatres are working 24 hours.
- General surgery ENT
- Orthopedic surgery Neuro-surgery
- Gynecology and obstetrics
One year internship is mandatory after completion of the degree program.
OPTOMETRY AND ORTHOPTICS(04-Year Degree Program)
Optometrists are the primary health care practitioners of the eye and visual system who provide comprehensive eye and vision care, which includes refraction and dispensing detection/diagnosis and management of diseases in the eye, and the rehabilitation of conditions of the visual system.” Orthoptics is an eye care professional whose primary emphasis is diagnosing and managing non-surgical strabismus (deviated eyes), amblyopia (lazy eye), and eye movement disorders. Much of the practice of orthoptics concerns pediatric refraction and muscular eye control. Orthoptics are trained professionals who specialize in orthoptic treatment.
Aims and Objectives of the Course:
To prepare graduates to provide full-scope optometric services ethically and professionally.
- To provide students a well-structured training program in Optometry & Orthoptics
- To obtain up to date knowledge for functions and recent advances in optometry & Orthoptics
- Educate students through lectures, laboratories, seminars, workshops, and clinical placements to provide competent, ethical, full-scope, optometric & Orthoptics services
- To collaborate with international bodies of optometry & orthoptics
Professional Prospects for the GraduatesIndependent, autonomous practice as an eye care professional within the domain of specialty, which includes:
- Refraction/Pediatric Refraction/Cycloplegic Refraction
- Screening for Cataract, Glaucoma, Diabetic & Hypertensive Retinopathy, and other Major Ophthalmic disorders
- Non-Surgical Management of Ocular Diseases
- Orthoptics Exercises Consultancy where necessary
- Soft & Hard Lens Practice
- Squint assessment & non-surgical management and plan of surgery
- Low Vision Practice
Post Graduate StudyMPhil, Ph.D., and Fellowship (FAAO and FCOptom.) programs are being offered in Pakistan and worldwide.
Department of OphthalmologyThe Department of Ophthalmology consists of two full-time Consultants, two visiting Consultants, and five Medical Officers. The experienced and committed staff provides specialist screening, diagnosis, and care for adults and children with eye disease. The Department is well equipped with the latest diagnostic and operative equipment. On average, 100 patients are provided consultation and treatment every day. The most prevalent ophthalmic diseases are refractive errors, cataracts, glaucoma, diabetic retinopathy, and minor eye disease. Treatment provided to OPD patients includes complete eye examination, Argon Laser Treatment, and Yag Laser Treatment. The anterior and posterior segment eye problems are treated with Yag laser and laser photo coagulator. The operation theatre offers many modern facilities. We have collaborated with CHILDREN Hospital, Lahore, for Pediatric Optometry and Orthoptics training.
There is no age restriction for admission in Allied Health Sciences courses.
- Admissions are open to all Pakistani and eligible foreign students.
- Admission is strictly merit based. The final merit list will be displayed at SSAHS website and School Notice board.
- Application is invited for admission into:
1. Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT)
2. B.Sc. (Hons) in Medical Imaging Technology
3. B.Sc. (Hons) in Medical Laboratory Technology
4. B.Sc. (Hons) in Optometry & Orthoptics
5. B.Sc. (Hons) in Operation Theatre Technology
- UHS fee and any government taxes as applicable will be required to be paid by the student.
- College Management reserves the right to revise/change the fee in later studies.
- Students of 1st year will be charged for their medical tests at admission for final selection in any degree program.
- Students have to pay additional charges for transport & clinical training in other hospitals as per their policy.
- Medical Imaging Technology students must pay for their Film Badge Dosimeter (Radiation Dose Monitoring Badges for 2nd, 3rd, and final year).
- A fine of Rs. 100/- per day shall be charged on all kinds of fee payments after the due date.